Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Why Not?

When it comes to parenting, when I am floating around aimlessly in an abyss of my own indecisiveness and insecurity, I try to doggie paddle over to the sunny shores commonly known as the "Big Picture." This is a beautiful place where you're not wearing rose-colored glasses, so much as you've been slipped something in your drink and end up dreaming a whole different, happier version of events than those which actually occurred. 

Some mothers seem to have the luxury of always living on Big Picture Island. You'll often hear these women saying, "It will all work out," "Cherish those boogers and crushed Cheerios while you can," or "I know he just poured out an entire gallon of milk into a box of cherished photos, but he's just such a blessing that I can't get mad." Secretly, we covet their ability to let things go and appreciate every moment of their children's lives. Also, secretly, we kind of hate them. But haterz gon hate, cause the big picture is what's UP. 

There are a million ways to lose your sanity as a parent. (75 pee stains on the couch, anyone?) Nitpicking over every little thing your child does shouldn't be one of them. Seriously. 

While there are plenty of things I say no to for my own sanity or for the well-being of our family as a whole, I say yes as often as I can. I just decide to be the grown-up, pray for peace, and look at the big picture. Whether my son asks me to do something specifically, or if I'm just overseeing something he is already in the process of doing, I make sure to always ask myself, "Why not?"


Use all the tattoos at one time...
Why not?



Blow colored bubbles indoors...
Why not?



Rub said "colored bubbles" all over your body...
Why not?



Eat "cold coin" (frozen corn straight out of the bag) every day for lunch for a month straight...
Why not?



Go commando...
Why not?



Make colored eggs. Every Single Time we make hard-boiled eggs...
Why not?



Play in the dryer...
Why not?



Have a ladybug birthday even though it's "for girls"...
Why not?



Close-up of the awesomeness of this cake:



Put stickers on mama and baby...
Why not?



Eat all the Easter candy in five minutes...
Why not?



Use adult scissors...
Why not?



Use the camera...
Why not?



Because honestly, this time with our children does just slip by. I want Lenny to remember that I let him run outside in the rain in his underwear and gave him a cookie for breakfast. I sure as heck don't need him to remember the time he took out a hundred tupperware and threw them all over the floor or the time he unrolled an entire roll of toilet paper and tried to flush it along with his underwear, and I flipped out on him. I read once that it takes ten positive encounters to counteract one negative one. How much more, then, must we do to maintain not just a neutral balance, but a positive one?

So step back, look at the big picture, ask yourself "Why not?" and just say yes.



One of my favorite things to read that I have hanging up inside the pantry door.






No comments: