Friday, December 5, 2014

Quinoa: You're Doing it Wrong



Maybe you're not. There's a good chance you are, though.

Everyone says quinoa is a great replacement for grains and it is. But if you have ever just made a cup of quinoa and served it on a plate next to some poached salmon and arugula salad, you probably thought it was meh at best. If you actually do like eating quinoa this way, more power to you. I do not. But I love dishes that use quinoa as a base for bold flavors.

We are constantly fighting the battle to eat healthier. And I discovered that they sell quinoa at Aldi. So, we are eating a lot of quinoa these days. And if you've ever been on Pinterest I guess you've noticed that they obviously own stock in quinoa because there are a million recipes on there.

Here are my favorites:

1. Balsamic Grilled Vegetable Salad with Basil and Mozzarella


I love the roasted eggplant and zucchini, and the red onion. The little mozzarella balls are the best part. It's like a caprese salad turned into a meal. Deliciousness.


2. White Bean Quinoa Salad with Caramelized Onions and Bacon Dressing


Onions and mushrooms caramelized in bacon grease. And you get to eat the bacon, too, all with melty blue cheese crumbles on top. 




Mexican street corn is the literal best. I always add a bit of mayo to this salad because I like unnecessarily making it fatter. You could add plain yogurt instead. Or not.
Also, I just grill everything by semi-burning it in a pan on the stove top. I really don't believe that I'm the only person in the world who does this. 





This is your typical cold quinoa salad with beans. But the dressing is THE BOMB.




Warm goat cheese. Silky dressing. Caramelized, tender veggies. Soooo good.



It tastes exactly like enchiladas. But no taking forever rolling up tortillas and then eating said tortillas the next day and gagging on the sogginess. 


7. Avocado, Chickpea, and Quinoa Salad


This is a great lunch. Creamy avocado, sweet tomatoes, protein from the beans, and lots of flavor.




Another amazing dinner. Like an epiphany in your mouth. I used homemade creme fraiche in place of the crema and feta in place of the queso fresco. 


So make yourself a quinoa dish and ENJOY IT. That way you can stop telling everyone that you just don't like it. Join the cool kids club and become a fangirl of quinoa too!



No comments: